How to perform Ductless Mini Split Maintenance
To take advantage of all the benefits your ductless mini split offers, you need to give your system regular attention. This is not an overwhelming job; it just needs to be consistent. You can do some of the ductless mini split maintenance yourself, or you can let a professional technician do the job. A ductless mini split system is a sizable investment, you want to protect it. The most important thing to remember is that the indoor unit needs free airflow across the coil and the outdoor condenser got to be unobstructed and free of debris.
Here are a few steps you can take to maintain your ductless system:
- Turn off the whole system (all indoor units should stop). This will prevent injuries, electric shock and damage to the unit
- The system will need a few minutes to return to a room/ambient temperature
- Check the immediate area around the outside unit. There should be enough room for unrestricted airflow to the cabinet
- Remove the air filter for cleaning. Spay plastic filters with garden hose or a shower, shake to remove access water, and install back in the unit. Some ductless mini splits have additional indoor-air quality components (like mineral filter) that may need to be cleaned with a soft, dry cloth
- Clean indoor coils with a soft brush and spray with disinfectant cleaner diluted with water (Windex works just fine). While in cooling, the indoor coil also removes moisture from the indoor air, which may create algae, mildew and mold. Look for any signs of those around the coil and components. If you do spot mold, call us for professional cleaning of the coil and chemical treatment to prevent further contamination.
- When you use your ductless mini split in heating mode, keep an eye on outdoor condenser for excessive ice and snow accumulation, and promptly remove any that you see. DO NOT scrape ice from the coil! The unit should automatically melt the ice (defrost mode) from the outdoor coil
“Maintaining your ductless mini split is imperative in order to reduce service calls, prolong system life and keep it working at manufacturer’ designed efficiency”
Remember, if you’re not used to doing ductless mini split maintenance, just call us 800 590-1557, our technicians will ensure that your system is kept in top-operating shape